Friday, June 29, 2012

Pre-Departure Questions

1.) What are your expectations for the trip?
Since I've been able to participate in many study abroad's during my graduate career at the University of San Diego, I've pretty much not had too many expectations for any of the trips I’ve been on, especially since I've never been to any of these places/countries before. I've learned to not expect too much, otherwise I’ll be disappointed and to be open-minded and to go with the flow. I tend to be a planner and map out everything or know what’s happening beforehand, so I’ve learned that I just need to sit back and really enjoy the experience and that I don’t actually have to be the planner! I also make sure to keep a conscious effort to soak up every moment because every study abroad I've been on this past year has had so many amazing moments and have impacted me more than actual in-house classes at USD.

2.) What do you hope to learn while in Kenya?
In Kenya, I hope to learn more about the history and culture of the people of Kenya as well as about the school culture at Daraja and the KISA schools we are going to visit.  In my past study abroad's, I've taken so much away from my experiences that have allowed me to reflect on my future teaching career as well as my personal aspirations, I feel that this Kenya trip will just add to that learning experience.

3.) What do you hope to contribute?
I personally hope that I can contribute as much as I can with the technology portion of the class.  Being able to attend the ISTE conference and just playing with the iPad's and the iPod's before we left for Kenya really opened up my eyes to my passion for technology.  I am hoping that I can help teach the Daraja girls as well as the teacher's some of my knowledge I have with the devices that they are going to recieve.

4.) What questions / concerns do you have?
My biggest concern is how quickly the girls will pick up the tips and tricks in the very little time we have while we are at the school, especially if they've never been exposed to this type of technology (but, I feel like if they are like the kids out here in the United States, they will be fine!)  Another big concern is the reception the teachers at Daraja will have with incorporating technology into their curriculum.  Like in the United States schools, there are always teachers who are enthusiastic to learn and will take it upon themselves to learn about the device so that they can implement it into their classroom, but there are the other teachers who are completely resistant and don't want change in the classroom.  With not knowing who the Daraja teachers are, I'm a little nervous about how the reception will go!

No comments:

Post a Comment